.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Hills Are Alive

This is going to be whatever....Blogging about anything and everything.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California

Read my blogs and eventually you'll know as much about me as I know about me, and probably more!

Sunday, October 16, 2005

HISTORY IS A PRESENT

I was reading “Andy Hardy Writes A Blog, (the wonderful dannymiller.typepad.com) and in his latest post he talked about his concern that his love of the past and history was maybe a way to not deal with the present…I am paraphrasing what he said, but that was the idea. And it made me think about the fact that since I started this blog, so far, most of my posts have been about the past. Many of the things I have been writing about have not been in my ‘present’ very much at all, for years, but, they are part of the fabric of me. They are my history, and it is really a joy to revisit these memories of my life and in writing about these things many little details that I thought were gone from my memory, are coming back, and frankly, that is exciting for me. Putting one’s history down on paper, so to speak, can teach you a lot about yourself. It’s also a lovely way to visit a time gone past which you hope may be interesting to others, or not, as the case may be, but mostly, it is a way for me to see what my life really has been about; (not every moment of my life, of course) and obviously, or not so obviously, the things I have been involved in all my life ultimately are, ‘me’ and my life. Perhaps because of the limitations that the physical illness I am dealing with now have placed on me, this blog is giving me an outlet for expressing any and all things I feel like writing about….and yes, as with all things creative or expressive—(you fill in the word that suits you)---there is a need to share it, but, I’m not sure that that is the motivating force for me, and I can only talk about this in those terms because, as anybody who reads this can tell, and anyone who writes a blog knows---I am putting all these memories down, for me;(It’s getting truly boring using the word ‘me’, and ‘I’ over and over…OY!...well, here comes some more of that!)
I don’t have any children, and no, I’ve never been married either---that’s a whole Chapter of future Blogs, (or not!), but my ‘creative life’ and my friends/family are my sustaining life-blood, and that has been true for me for all of my life….like I said, another future blog…or not!

So, what is this particular post about? Well, I want to encourage Danny Miller to ‘be true to himself’. He LOVES the History of many many things, and these things are part of his history, and he knows so very much about all the parts of the particular things he loves, that his sharing what he does in “Andy Hardy Writes A Blog” is a Great Gift to all of us, but in particular, it’s the greatest gift to his young 10 year old daughter, Leah. Teaching without ‘teaching’, (if you know what I mean,) the value of things past and their importance in our ‘present’, is, I think, one of the greatest gifts you can give anyone, but particularly your own child. What you give to all of us Danny, and to your sweet dear daughter is truly profound! The ‘History’ you share enriches our lives and is almost as good a present as giving someone incredibly rich deep dark chocolate!
Later…..

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. My husband is about the only thing that compares to chocolate. Your post about him was so beautiful. I just had a feeling you two would be cyber best friends. To think this all started in the search for a phone number (I haven't even called her yet!) Your blog is truly such a gift to me. To think I've known you almost all my life and I never knew any of this! I feel like we are so alike in so many ways. You really illuminate me too as you're illuminating you. I have to share one more story of Danny's love of history passed to Leah. When they were living on Crescent Heights just south of where the Carthay Circle Theatre used to be, Danny became obsessed by it and the GREED INSPIRED TRAGEDY of its demise and so often when they passed the spot, a little four-year-old voice from the back seat could be heard to say, "Oh, Daddy, I miss the Carthay Circle so much!"

11:07 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Thanks so much Kendall....I love the Carthay Circle story...I actually went to the Carthay Circle in the summer of '47!!! And saw a film with June Haver & Mark Stevens! Gorgeous Movie Palace...what a sad sad day when they tore that down....Incidentally, that was my first time in L.A. and I turbed 16 that summer and celebrated my 16th Birthday at The Cocoanut Grove--when it still was, "THE" Cocanut Grove...I have a great story about The Ambassador Hotel from the 80's...I have to be able to post a picture for that one, though!!! Eventually. (I hope!!!) So glad you are enjoying this blog, dear Kendall. And yes, I love your Danny! He is a treasure and so are you!

12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home