.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Hills Are Alive

This is going to be whatever....Blogging about anything and everything.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California

Read my blogs and eventually you'll know as much about me as I know about me, and probably more!

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

WORDS & PHRASES

When I was growing up, the expression we used was "I almost peed in my pants". Was that a New York thing? Were people in other places saying that or were they saying; "I almost peed my pants"? I know this isn't important, but it is strange to me that I never hear the expression the first way anymore, but only the second way. I don't even say "I almost peed in my pants", anymore.....When did that change, or didn't it? Any thoughts, bloggers out there?

Another question; this one I think would fall under grammer, but I'm not sure. I learned to use this next word like this: anyway....
You know, like....'Well, anyway,I started to.....'.
Now, almost all I ever hear people saying is 'anyways'. Like...'Well, anyways.....I started to.....', and I tell you, it sounds totally wrong to me. It sounds like poor grammer, to me. Am I wrong about this?

I first became aware of this on "NYPD Blue"....the character of Sipowitz was always saying, 'Well, anyways', and I thought, is this supposed to be a culteral thing? Is Steven Bochko saying that this is how cops talk, or is he saying this a 'character element' of a class distinction type thing, covering not just policeman but showing the audience some class distinction of an economic nature? I don't know, I'm just asking? And I have noticed that this "ANYWAYS" usage is now everywhere on television.


The use of language is fascinating to me, and I would appreciate any and all feedback about this word and the phrase above as well. And if you can think of any seeming changes in our language that bother you, please do share them. I thank you in front.

10 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

Language is also one of my pet subjects. I grew up saying (and still say) "I almost peed IN my pants". I also said "Anyway" but I never put an "s" on it. Sometimes I even say "anyhow".

The thing that bothers me the most nowadays is the use of the word "like", in places it doesn't belong. Another one is the current use of the word impact; used as a verb instead of as a noun. I hate that, but I suppose all language changes over time and we have to get used to it.

2:35 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

kenju-I'm ashamed to say, I have been using 'like' for...oh Lord, 30 years or more and I am probably guilty of using it in the wrong way! (lol). I am trying to to kick that habit, I promise you!

Impact..hmmm. I'm not sure I've encountered this one in the way you described. How would that be?

3:46 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I have heard the pee in your pants thing both ways, but mostly I've heard the "I almost peed my pants."
I have heard people use anyway a lot but not anyways.

I seldom notice things unless people tend to say it an awful lot. For example if you ever watch the cooking channel and watch Tyler Florence. I love the guy, but he says "right?" so much. For example he says, "Okay now we add some olive oil and mix it well to coat the vegetables, right. Then we are going to chop up one green bell pepper and add that in, right. We're just going to add some salt, about 1 teaspoon full, right. Then the pepper, right." etc, etc, etc!
Just a habit I know! Like I said, I love the guy but I notice he says that a lot, right??

8:29 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Alisha--I can sure relate to that! I hate that I've been Ma'am for far too long now!

Rachel--I've never seen Tyler F. but things like that can start to drive you a little nuts, once you become aware of them--Right?

9:14 PM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Here via Michelle.

I don't remember the IN. I never used that phrase that often. I do not say anyways since I was corrected back in the 80's.

I cannot remember to say lent instead of borrowed. I also say "warsh" instead of "wash." "Wash" sounds weird to me.

1:56 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

Stopping by to say hello.

A client once asked me about the anyway/anyways rule. To the best of my knowledge (which is not always "the" best knowledge), it is a matter of personal preference. However, my own personal preference is to leave the "s" off, just because it can be confusing, seeming to imply plurality where there is none.

Anyway, (wink) I wish to thank you for the many wonderful comments that you have left on my blog. Now, I must blogroll you.

12:05 PM  
Blogger steakboy said...

neat post. i don't have any light to shed on the matters you raise, but any and all who harbor an interest in the evolution of (the english) language, i strongly recommend bill bryon's "the mother tongue."

12:42 PM  
Blogger Star said...

Language is fascinating! It used to be that in this area we stood "in" line. Lately I notice we are standing "on" line which I believe is what they do north of here. Either we are trying to be hip or people are moving south and bringing their idioms with them. It doesn'tseem to bother anyine but me. Michele sent me.

3:54 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Star- I have to admit I've always said both, but don't know which is correct.

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We says that here in the South too!

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home